nonpareil adj : eminent beyond or above comparison; "matchless beauty"; "the team's nonpareil center fielder"; "she's one girl in a million"; "the one and only Muhammad Ali"; "a peerless scholar"; "infamy unmatched in the Western world"; "wrote with unmatchable clarity"; "unrivaled mastery of her art" [syn: matchless, one(a), one and only(a), peerless, unmatched, unmatchable, unrivaled, unrivalled]
1 model of excellence or perfection of a kind; one having no equal [syn: ideal, paragon, saint, apotheosis, nonesuch, nonsuch]
2 colored beads of sugar used as a topping on e.g. candies and cookies
3 a flat disk of chocolate covered with beads of colored sugar
EtymologyFrom nonpareil (obsolete in French), from non- & pareil.
- A person or thing that has no equal; a paragon.
- A small, flat chocolate drop covered with white pellets of sugar.
Nonpareil(s) may refer to:
- Nonpareil, Guyana, a village in Guyana
- Nonpareils, a confectionery of small sweet spheres used to decorate cakes, sweets, and pastries
- Painted Bunting or nonpareil, a colorful bird in the Cardinal family
- Jack (Nonpareil) Dempsey (1862–1896), Irish boxer
- HMS Nonpareil, several ships
- Nonpareil, a rag composed by Scott Joplin published in 1907
- Nonpareil, an Al Cohn jazz recording from 1981
A per se, ace, beau ideal, boss, champion, chief, choice, chosen, commander, cream, dean, elect, elite, exemplar, fat, flower, fugleman, genius, good example, head, higher-up, ideal, jewel, laureate, leader, man of men, master, mirror, model, ne plus ultra, nonesuch, optimum, paragon, pattern, phoenix, pick, prime, principal, prize, prodigy, queen, quintessence, ruler, select, senior, shining example, standard, star, superior, superlative, superman, superstar, the best, the best ever, the greatest, the most, the tops, the very best, top dog, virtuoso